Weleda has been around awhile (over 90s years in fact!) but when we met with the team, we were absolutely gob-smacked at how little we knew of their incredible story and the way in which their products were created. Organic, hand picked ingredients designed to transform your skin is just the beginning
Weleda has been around awhile (over 90s years in fact!) but when we met with the team, we were absolutely gob-smacked at how little we knew of their incredible story and the way in which their products were created. Organic, hand picked ingredients designed to transform your skin is just the beginning!
1. Weleda’s heritage dates back to the 1920s in Switzerland, making it one of the oldest and most experienced natural skin care companies in the world.
2. Weleda was discovered when philosopher Dr Rudolf Steiner and Dr Ita Wegman developed ‘anthroposophic medicine’, which encourages people to holistically view their body and health as linked to the world and nature.
3. Rudolf Steiner’s inspiration led to the founding of Steiner Waldorf schools and kindergartens, anthroposophical medicine, natural body care and Biodynamic farming.
4. Weleda’s products are designed to work with and support our own body’s healing tendencies, not replace or change them.
5. Steiner and Wegman created one of the world’s first Biodynamic gardens to grow what they needed to create their products that healed and restored balance to patients.
6. Biodynamic farming is much more than just ‘organic’ farming. Biodynamic cultivation goes a step further, using Biodynamic fertiliser preparations to support the soil and crops and harvested in sync with the moon cycles. Composts are made from herbs like chamomile and dandelion to bring life to the soil and support Weleda’s ingredients.
7. If their ingredients haven’t come from their own gardens, they’ve come from hand selected certified wild sources
8. Weleda can now be found all over the world, in over 50 different countries, but they still operate almost the same as they did in the 1920s.
9. In 2010 Weleda implemented a sustainability strategy to improve and maintain their strategies for environmentally friendly sourcing of raw materials, Biodynamic cultivation, climate neutrality and water conservation.
10. Today Weleda has 135 acres of Biodynamic gardens in Germany, with even more in Switzerland, France, the UK, the Netherlands, Argentina, Brazil and New Zealand, together growing more than 300 healing plants and flowers.
11. These Biodynamic Medicinal Plant Gardens are the largest of their kind in Europe.
12. Weleda believes that pure farming practices make for pure products.
13. This belief is why their soil is kept completely free of chemicals and pesticides. Weleda also ensures that any ingredients from their partners adhere to the same standards.
14. weleda’s skin and body care ranges are not defined by skin type, but by life stages. For example, mature skin requires more antioxidants and more potent ingerdients, whilst adolescent skin requires more balancing, gentle products.
15. Weleda works with around 1,000 natural substances for their products and pharmaceuticals.
16. Weleda plants are processed immediately after they’re harvested. Their farmers hand clean the roots, peel the bark and hand select the best blossoms and leaves.
18. The properties of the ingredient are released through grinding, cutting or squeezing which is then combined with either organic alcohol or spring water to create an organic extract called a ‘tincture’.
19. Weleda says ‘a tincture carries an imprint, or life message, of the plant, and herbal or mineral tinctures are powerful enough to have been used around the world for centuries to treat medical needs.’
20. In 2007 Weleda and other organic cosmetic companies in Europe began a non-profit initiative called “NATRUE”. ‘It ensures that in the future, natural and organic cosmetics will meet the highest standards and that skin care products and cosmetics labelled ‘natural’ really are just that.’
You can shop the Weleda’s range of skin care for all life stages, body treatments and elixirs today at Feelsofab.com